Vittles Vault Airtight Stackable Pet Food Container

  • Pet Food Goes Stale! Gamma2 Keeps Your Food Fresh!
  • Airtight Seal Keeps Food Fresh
  • keeps pet food odor contained in the vault
  • Perfect For Homes With Two Animals
  • perfect for homes with two animals
  • easy access
  • holds 40-pound of food
  • holds 40-pound of food
  • Airtight

Dear Ants, I formally declare war on you. If found in my home, you will be executed on sight with an eco-friendly, biodegradable, pet-safe, organic, essential oil, bug spray. Since I realize that you seem to enjoy my eco-friendly, biodegradable, pet-safe, organic, essential oil, bug spray and tend to just keep stealing my dog's food, I also purchased a Vittles Vault Outback Stackable Pet Food Container. Or VVOSPFC for short. I will lock up the dog food with better protections that all the gold in your Fort Knox. Also, feel free to bring your Bear friends because this thing is like crazy sturdy. If Los Angeles gets blown away in a Terminator 2 like nuclear holocaust I'm pretty sure all that will remain is the VVOSPFC. Ants, You have been warned.

The container does the job, and It will hold a 23-pound bag. The container lives in our kitchen, and is not too intrusive. See the photo below. Prior to this, we kept the 23-pound bag in a storage room attached to the garage, and every four days or so we would go to the storage room and fill a large zip lock bag. Using a scoop, this process always caused some minor spillage, which is like a payday for a mouse, And, as everyone knows, the 23-pound bags are a pain to reseal. I suspected there must be a better solution, and for us the Vittles Vault is a good fix. Now we fill the dog bowl directly from the container using a measuring cup that lives in the container. There are two tips that might be helpful. (1) Always use two hand for opening and closing the container. It's a bit awkward using one hand, and one invariable drops the lid. When the lid hits the floor, the rubble seal always falls off, and it's a bit of pain to reseat it. A small lid handle would be a good modification. (2) When installing the lid, snug tight is enough. A tight seal is difficult to remove, and snug is adequate for maintaining freshness.

We keep our dog food in a coat closet off the kitchen. Even when food was sealed in an unopened bag, the whole closet (and our coats!) smelled like dog food. So I gave this a try and we have had it for a couple of months so I am ready to review it. When I first got it, there wasn't an overwhelming plastic smell, which I was pleased with. It is easy to open/close with the spinning top, and I can tighten it enough that it is impossible for my small children to open, which is awesome! Plastic can absorb smells over time, so before putting any food in the container, I lined it with a plastic garbage bag to keep the container away from the food. We use the white standard kitchen garbage bags from Costco and it fit in perfectly. Then I poured a brand new 35 lb bag of dog food (Kirkland Nature's Domain) and it fit in the garbage bag and in the container with plenty of space at the top for scooping. And after a few months of use there is ZERO smell of dog food in my closet!! I am totally amazed and so happy with this purchase. I just bought a new bag of food and put it in there and the sealed bag smells more than the food in the storage container! We have the container positioned with the angled side going UP, which makes it unable to be used with another unit stacked on top, so if you want to stack and need the spout pointing DOWN, a whole bag of food may not fit. After having for a while, sometimes the rubber ring on the top comes off, but I just pop it right back on, no problem. Also, I always want to spin it super fast to close it, but you have to go slower and apply a bit of pressure for it to catch the threads, which is sometimes annoying for me when I am a zombie in the morning. But these are such minor complaints because there is NO smell! I attached a picture to give a size reference. You can see my 4 month-old Old English Sheepdog with the empty bag of dog food and the container full of food and lined with a garbage bag. I am so pleased with this purchase and highly recommend it to all pet owners!

1:48 0:00 This video is not intended for all audiences. What date were you born? JanuaryFebruaryMarchAprilMayJuneJulyAugustSeptemberOctoberNovemberDecember12345678910111213141516171819202122232425262728293031201920182017201620152014201320122011201020092008200720062005200420032002200120001999199819971996199519941993199219911990198919881987198619851984198319821981198019791978197719761975197419731972197119701969196819671966196519641963196219611960195919581957195619551954195319521951195019491948194719461945194419431942194119401939193819371936193519341933193219311930192919281927192619251924192319221921192019191918191719161915191419131912191119101909190819071906190519041903190219011900 Submit Adobe Flash Player is required to watch this video. Install Flash Player This is a review of the Vittles Vault Airtight Stackable Pet Food Container. Love it. This is perfect for storing a 40 pound bag of dog food and the airtight/watertight lid keeps the food fresh and dry. I do not notice any dog food smell leaching through the plastic. This fits neatly into our kitchen cabinet. It is 12" wide. The angled lid at the top is 16 1/4" tall while the back is 15 1/2" tall. It's about 20 1/4" deep. The flat area on the top is 9" x 9". The inside diameter of the opening is 8 1/2" This is food grade plastic so I feel good about that. It's super easy to scoop out the food since the opening is so large. There is also a plastic cup included for scooping out the kibble. I was going to make my own dry storage container using a 5 gallon plastic paint/utility bucket and a lid, also made by Gamma, that has the same design as the lid on the Vittles Vault. The lid just fits over the top of the bucket and voila, instant dry food storage. But that option would have cost about $15 and would not have held the entire bag of food. So for twice the cost as my homemade solution, this fits the bill perfectly. There have been some complaints about the container being able to hold the entire contents of a 40lb bag of kibble. Well kibble comes in different shapes. Some kibble is compact in size and regular in shape thus it "compacts" into a smaller space. Other kibble is irregularly shaped and the same weight of kibble will take up more space. I've not had any issues as my video shows. We use Kirkland dog food and the variety I get is 35lb/bag. It fits with room to spare in the 40lb Vittles Vault. I've read all about the issues some people are experiencing with stacking these containers. They find that since these don't have handles it is difficult to lift them and move them into place. Also with full capacity people are complaining that the round opening becomes oval in shape for the bottom containers in the stack making it difficult to impossible to screw the lid on or off. Vittles Vault does not recommend stacking these higher than 2 units with the heaviest unit on the bottom. So following those directions you won't have that issue. Since I am only using a single container in my cupboard, these issues don't affect my use of this. That is why I've given this 5 stars. Under other circumstances and different usage scenarios, they may not be the best choice for you.

My first large Vittles Vault was for chicken feed in my coop. It was absolutely air-tight, kept the feed clean and dry, and kept even the tiniest rodent OUT. I ordered another for "scratch" - equally excellent. I use both in the more upright position, so more feed fits. They are not stackable this way, but I don't need them to be - they fit under the roosts and boards. My third Vault arrived this week, and it is on my deck, filled with premium bird seed. I anticipate no more squirrel-chewed bags and containers and no more mouse nests near an easy food source. I will continue to add to my growing collection, and I am considering some smaller ones for tools, paper towels, etc., in my coop, which magically produces endless, fine, pervasive dust. Here in Iowa, my supplies are tough, or they bow in the heat, crack in the below-zero winters, or attract free-loaders. Vittles Vaults are outstanding!

Super glad I got the 60lb container. I was buying 40lb bags of Purina Pro Plan for my dog, and they almost filled this container up. We have since switched to 40lb bags of Costco brand dog food, which fills up about 2/3 as expected. The difference is the kibble size. The Pro Plan had much larger kibble, about the size of nickel, and the puffy softer pieces as well, which are even larger. The Costco kibble is more like the size of a dime. The seal on this is great, but I don't keep it outside, so I can't speak to its ability to keep out pests. The top is easy to spin on and off, and the base is sturdy enough that it will not get knocked over. I recommend filling it near where you want it to stay, as it is a little awkward to move once it is full. It's hard to market the size of food containers accurately, since the capacity really depends on volume, not weight, but pet food is sold by weight. I recommend sizing up, especially if you regularly buy 40lbs of food.

My jerk of a dog ate the lid off of our previous flap-top container, so we stupidly replaced it with the same thing. She then destroyed the second and we decided to go a different route.After some research we settled on this, even though we were a little worried that it wouldn't hold a full bag of the dog food we use. This does, in fact, hold an entire 35lb bag of Nature's Domain (Costco). Which is incredible, because it's so compact! You can orient it a few different ways depending on your space, which I also like. This really take up a lot less room than what we had previously. I only have a few small complaints - first, there is a flexible plastic ring/ gasket that occasionally pops off and it's a bit annoying to get back on. Second, if the lid is screwed on very tightly (like my husband tends to do), it's a little difficult to get a really good grip/ leverage to turn and open. Now, obviously one solution here would be to not close it too tight - I'm working on getting that message across. But I also think they could design the lid a bit differently so it's easier to grip - maybe an actual, protruding handle? Unless you have a pet monkey, your animal would still not be able to access the food.

I bought this for my mom to store her 40 lb. bags of dog kibble each month in the pantry. It was even better than expected! Holds a full 40 lb. bag with some room to spare, and the design makes it surprisingly compact so it takes up very little space in the pantry (a BIG plus, since pantry space is always at a premium). Another great feature is the screw top lid which prevents insects, vermin or other pests and keeps the food fresh from beginning to end. My mom has arthritic hands, so she can screw the lid tight enough to accomplish the goals I mentioned, but it's not too tight for her to reopen with her hand issues. She LOVES it! It's nice that it comes with a matching scoop, which I measured and equals 1 cup of kibble. No more using household measuring cups or other methods, it's a perfect set! Also, the forward facing opening makes filling the container so easy, rather than lifting a 40 lb. bag into a top-opening container. My mom is thrilled and I can't recommend it more highly.

This container is great! It's biggest downfall is that sometimes it can be hard to fill but I'm pretty confident that is user error vs design flaw. I have 4 of these containers (I have 4 dogs) and they have managed to keep all the dogs out. One of my dogs suffers from separation anxiety and has broken into nearly every other food container when I'm not home and had her own personal feast. Not this time dog. Not. this. time. The lids lock in and screw tight (and open) easily. They stack which keeps them out of the way. They're not hideous. You and write on them with sharpie (so far it hasn't easily wiped off) to ID each dog's food. The little measuring scoop/cup that comes with has no actual measurement guides on it. When I compared it to my vet scoop that is measured it was about 1.5cups of my dogs food (which can mean very little to you other than double check how much you're feeding now and where it sits in the Vittles Vault scoop before you jump the gun and start over feeding your pup!)

I bought this with the hopes of having a good, compact container to store my 50 lbs. of rice that I routinely buy. Up 'till this point, I've been chucking the whole bag into a large, heavy duty, plastic bin with a lid, but I still had to clip the bag shut after every use. I needed something that I could just dip my measuring scoop in, but that was also good for keeping out the bugs and other little critters. My parents used to use a tall, kitchen trash can to store their rice bags, but those aren't airtight, and bugs can (and did!) still get in ( And guests sometimes thought it was the trash bin. Yuck!). As you can see from the pictures I submitted, the rice fits perfectly in the 40 lb. Vittles Vault, and the Vault itself fits nicely on one of those rolling, metal racks with adjustable shelves (36" L x 18" W x 72" H). I have it oriented in the way it's shown on the product page, but it would hold more if you put it up on the end opposite the opening. The lid is a bit hard to get on quickly, but I don't know if that's a design flaw or just because it's brand new. The Vault also came with a little bowl scooper, but that is flimsy and I didn't need it anyway. I gave that to my kids to use as a sand toy. Overall, this is exactly what I wanted, and I'm thinking about ordering another one to store the flour I buy in bulk, too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You have a bed?!

Add a baguette controller!